The goal is zero waste and optimized material management for all operations within the district. The challenge is to reduce the consumption of and eliminate the negative impacts of the material flow while capturing as much value as possible from each material.
This can mean:
- Retaining and restoring existing historic structures as a material conservation strategy, more on historic preservation HERE.
- Strategies for waste prevention and elimination of practices that produce waste, whenever possible.
- Minimize the use of virgin materials and toxic chemicals.
- Use of regionally produced items.
- Optimize material reuse and salvage.
- Capture greatest residual value of organic waste.
In North Park:
- Many North Park businesses recycle. North Park Fitness’ recycling helps to raise money for AIDs and HIV awareness!
- In partnership with City’s Environmental Services we have been working to develop North Park’s first Recycling Program.
- By working with 1:1 Movement we aim to have all restaurants join the Straw Pledge, which just means waiting until the customer asks for a straw before passing them out.
- We have our very own green building supply store: Go to Olive Branch on North Park Way to purchase most environmentally friendly building materials.
- We aspire to work with the City of San Diego and community to organize and develop San Diego’s first Composting District.